Saturday, May 31, 2008

Emergency Room

My poor sweet Hayden has had quite a week. A few days ago he got a cut on the back of his ankle....luckily it didn't need stitches. Then this morning, much to my horror, he wakes up with his legs looking like this!!! Here's the story - Last night, while I was out with my sisters-in-law, Justin decided to clean out the drain in the boys bathroom. Gavin was daddy's little helper and when they were finished, Justin took the Drain-o and put it out in the garage. Well, Justin then went into the kitchen to start fixing dinner, A few minutes later, Gavin came running in exclaiming that something was burning his legs. Confused, Justin felt his legs and they were wet and slick and so he ran into the bathroom where he found the Drain-o uncapped and spilled on the floor and Hayden crawling in it.
So Justin grabs Hayden, strips he and Gavin down and they all jump into the shower together where Justin proceeds to rinse and wash the boys for about 30 minutes. He then called poison control and they asked if there was any blistering. Nope just a little red. So Justin kept an eye on them for the rest of the night and put them to bed with their legs being a little red, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Well, Justin went in to get Hayden up this morning and comes out asking me if I'm ready to cry. He turns Hayden towards me and to my horror, my little boy's legs are blistered and red! I immediately start sobbing! It was like I was in a dream....I didn't think this could actually be my baby boy! Well, we rush him to the Emergency room where they take a culture sample and prescribe him some oral and topical antibiotics, clean his wounds and dress them. We have to take him back in the morning for them to check it and make sure that it doesn't get infected any further. We think that because of his eczema his legs were more suseptible to an outbreak like this. Especially since Gavin has a little redness on his legs, but nothing near what Hayden has. He seems ok...no tears really until they started applying cleanser and ointment! But he's a brave and tough little 10 month old and should be ok in a week or so. Now if I can just get over it.....

This picture doesn't really do it justice...it's horrific!


















8 comments:

Lori said...

Oh Jamie . . . I saw those pictures and my stomach just cringed and I started to cry! The wound by his ankle looks really bad. I'm so grateful that he didn't swallow some of it. Is Gavin okay? I had no idea Dran-O could do that. I hope his healing goes well.

Kris-10 said...

I am so sorry. I with A. Lori though, I am so grateful he didn't swallow any. The bandages make him look like a mummy! :o) Give him another kiss for me!!!

Pink Caboose said...

Oh poor boy, and poor mom too. He will not remember it in 10 years but you will and you will still feel bad. :( I would know, I fell while holding Cameron when he was 8months old and broke his leg, I still hate to think about it!! Your Hayden looks a little like my Hayden, so cute even with those nasty burns. At least you can still kiss those sweet cheeks! And kids heal really quickly!

CHECKETTS BUNCH said...

OH MY GOODNESS - I am almost started crying. POOR BOY! OUCH! Look at his little face - he is so sweet - straight from heaven - PLEASE kiss him for me. Oh - I just want to squeeze him and kiss him and love him.

Pedaling said...

that is so sad_ i hope he is feeling better! very scary!

Sarah said...

Oh Jamie, that looks awful I feel for you and Hayden, I hope he feels better soon.

nicole said...

Oh my gosh, Jamie! I can't believe what that did to him. Seriously, I'm in shock right now! Poor little guy. I'm glad that he'll be better soon. Gosh, what a tramatic thing for all of you to have to go through. I am so sorry.

Rachel Stewart said...

Even after hearing the story from you, I was shocked when I saw those pictures. The poor little thing. But look at him...still happy as can be. I still think he is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen.

I love the picture of him in the grey shirt. Looks like he just ran 8 miles. What a cutie, I hope he is feeling better.