Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Law Student's Wife


It begins again....a new semester with a new class schedule to try and remember, more law books filling up the corners of my bedroom but emptying my already dwindling pocketbook. Not to mention the loss of a husband for the next 12 or so weeks. And when said husband is here, he's distracted with thoughts of criminal procedures and tort reform and telling me why the cases I watch on Law and Order and CSI, "Would never hold up in a real court of law." I'll start feeling sorry for my self and all the pressure I'm experiencing because Im having to do it all on my own. Then, by week 10 or 11, I'll be staring into bloodshot eyes, rubbing slouched shoulders, editing case reports and cleaning out a car littered with Monster Energy drink cans and hot dog wrappers. And that's when it will hit me! When I'll realize the immense amount of pressure that he's been under. The stress that he faces each and every day to excel in his classes. To stand out above the other 100 or so students in the same field. And all for us. I know that being a lawyer was not his first career choice, but it is the choice he made as a father and husband so that he can build a better life for our family. That's when I will remember how blessed I am to be a law student's wife!

8 comments:

Kris-10 said...

That's sweet. He is lucky to have you for a wife!!!

Sarah said...

I feel your pain bring a student wife definately has its draw backs, but it is worth it in the end. But then again being a student feels very safe, wait until you hit the real world! Talk about stress.

Rachel Stewart said...

YIPEE! Finally another post! And a great one! Just hang in there. Over half way, right?? The sad thing is that I don't know if you'll see him much more after he graduates, judging by the amount of hours they make those new lawyers work. So just hang in there another 7 years and you'll have it made. At which point you'll be so use to being independent you'll have to go throuh all sorts of new adjustments having him around. :)

CHECKETTS BUNCH said...

I can't say I know EXACTLY how you feel, but I can say I have empathy for you. Jason's work load along with being a full time student was treachery. But - you have more umph in you than you give yourself credit for. You CAN do it and you WILL do it because that is what we do as wives and mothers. Just tell yourself - I am good, I am smart enough and dog gone it, PEOPLE LIKE ME! I sure do!!

ctseel said...

I can relate. My husband is on the down hill slide of his 1L year. What a challenge this adventure has been for our marriage so far. It is refreshing to see that there are others experiencing the same. Bravo to you for your blog.

Donna said...

I am a SAHM of 3 and live in Georgia. I was really excited to see your blog. My husband works full time as a manager fora large company and goes to law school. I was hoping to find others that are dealing with the same things as me to chat with. If you would like to talk let me know.

ageorgiamomma (@) gmail(.)com

Ember said...

My husband is in his 3rd week of 1L and so far, so good. I love your blog and all the comments from other spouses and look forward to reading more as the year goes on!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to have found your blog! My boyfriend is an L2 and none of my friends seem to understand my feelings. I try to be supportive, but as you know sometimes its very difficult! Sometimes the independent life isn't all its cracked up to be!